Many Americans remember exactly where they were when first learning of JFK’s death on November 22nd, 1963 in Dallas Texas, however; just one moment before 8:46 AM on September 11th 2001 in NYC, many more of us have the additional memory of the horrific events of “9/11” as well. Today~ my generation remembers the frightening events of 9/11 to add to our memories of knowing exactly where we were when we first learned of the attacks on the Twin Towers in New York City, NY, the Pentagon in Washington DC & the Flight 93 plane crash in Shanksville, PA. Here is a look at a brief timeline courtesy of the History Channel. ~ JGT
• 8:46 am – Mohammed Atta and the other hijackers aboard American Airlines Flight 11 crash the plane into floors 93-99 of the North Tower of the World Trade Center, killing everyone on board and hundreds inside the building.
• 9:37 am – Hijackers aboard Flight 77 crash the plane into the western façade of the Pentagon in Washington, D.C., killing 59 aboard the plane and 125 military and civilian personnel inside the building.
• 9:59 am – The South Tower of the World Trade Center collapses.
• 10:07 am – After passengers and crew members aboard the hijacked Flight 93 contact friends and family and learn about the attacks in New York and Washington, they mount an attempt to retake the plane. In response, hijackers deliberately crash the plane into a field in Somerset County, Pennsylvania, killing all 40 passengers and crew aboard.
• 10:28 am – The World Trade Center’s North Tower collapses, 102 minutes after being struck by Flight 11.
Today is a difficult day. The memories are painful and some of the wounds I fear may never heal. Yet I pray you will help me to go on living for truth, firm in my hope of your salvation. May I live for you, Lord, and by doing so, be an example to my friends and family. I pray, just like Jesus, I may learn obedience through these things that I have suffered. Help me not to question why, yet even if I do, give me courage to continue to trust you. Help me take the comfort and strength you’ve poured into my life and use it to comfort and strengthen others who need hope.
I pray I might become a better person and help make the world a better place because of this terrible event. Thank you for the heroes that gave so sacrificially on September 11. Help me to remember their courage and learn from them. I want my life to be worthy of you Lord, so make of it what you desire, and use me to fulfill your purposes. May the evil of that day cause me and my family to work harder to do good on this earth and to bring your light into the dark places. Help me to never stop believing in you and living my life for you.
Lord, heal all those who were crushed and broken on that day. May they come to experience your presence and know your peace.